Call For Proposals
2022 VIRTUAL SARBICA INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
“Preservation & Sustainability: Two Sides Of The Same Coin?
15 to 17 November 2022
Hosted by the National Archives of Singapore (NAS), the 2022 Virtual International Symposium of the Southeast Asia Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (SARBICA) will take place from 15 to 17 November 2022 including a pre-symposium Workshop on 15 November 2022. Expand your networks, and bond with fellow professionals at the events. For more information regarding the registration fees and other details, please visit https://sarbicasymposium2022.nas.gov.sg/
The environmental reality of the global climate crisis leading to unstable ecosystems, rising sea levels, extreme weather events, increasing natural disasters and displacement of people inspired the theme “Preservation & Sustainability: Two Sides Of The Same Coin?” for the 2022 Virtual SARBICA International Symposium. Preservation is a cornerstone of memory institutions like the archives, while Sustainability and sustainable development are the all-important challenges of our times. Partnering both issues in the theme is appropriate and timely. The theme also suggests that there may be differing opinions and perspectives on this link. The Symposium shall provide a venue to raise awareness, gain new perspectives, promote discussions and engage with questions on the intersection between the work of memory institutions, the environment and sustainability.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to the following:
• Traditional archiving practices versus modern preservation efforts and their impact on the environment.
• Environmental impact of digital preservation.
• Understanding climate change and sustainability.
• Impact of climate change and disasters on archival collections and facilities and the archives’ response.
• Sustainability in conservation.
• Sustainable preservation methods.
• Sustainable archival services including access, programming and outreach.
• Environmental standards for archival and conservation facilities.
• Best green practices for memory institutions (archives, libraries, museums, etc).
• Assessment framework for archival preservation vis-à-vis environmental protection.
• Formal education and training for green archivists.
• Green skills for the archival profession.
• Archival advocacy for sustainable preservation.
• Collaborations with allied professions in sustainable preservation.
We invite submission of proposals from interested parties on any of the above topics. Other thematically-related topics not listed here, are also welcome for consideration.
TIMELINE AT A GLANCE:
Deadline for submission of proposals: 31 May 2022
Notification of accepted proposals: 29 July 2022
Deadline for confirmation to present at the Virtual Symposium: 16 August 2022
Submission of presentation materials: 6 October 2022
Presentation at Symposium: 16 and 17 November 2022
DETAILS TO NOTE:
Submit proposal in English via e-mail as an MS Word file by 31 May 2022 to: Irene_LL_LIM@nlb.gov.sg
The proposal should include:
• Title of proposal
• Abstract, maximum of 250 words
• Name and institution of proponent(s)
• Bio, maximum of 250 words per proponent
The Organisers will review all submitted proposals and will notify the proponents via email, on the review outcomes by 29 July 2022.
Accepted proponents must confirm if they are able to present at the Symposium by 16 August 2022. Presentation materials must be submitted to the Organisers by 6 October 2022.
The Organisers shall waive the registration fee of the Symposium for the confirmed Presenters.
Please email your enquiries (if any) to: NLB_Sarbica_2022@nlb.gov.sg